Blogger Templates

Friday, October 22, 2010

Question Nineteen

Day 19 - a talent of yours

Hmmmm....Well, I would consider writing a talent. I have always loved to write and have had some things published when I was younger. I used to write poems a lot, it was the best way to express my emotions. Now, though I don't write much poetry anymore, I still write and I still find it to be a great release...and a great escape.
One day I plan to write a book. I always wanted to write about my life, but now I think I want to write about my children. Maybe my experiences can help someone else.
I'm going to share a poem that I wrote about 9 years ago...it's not about loss, but it's one that I have always felt was powerful...for me anyway.

Alcoholics Anonymous
It’s pitiful really, thinking about his life, drowning it…
Leaving his problems in the bottom of a pint glass,
waiting for something,
the world to end,
a lottery win,
anything.
When nothing happens, he still drinks.
The sad picture of ruins,
society’s leftovers,
broken and lonely.
Life moves on around him and he wonders,
will they notice when I’m gone?
Do they notice me here now?
The only one left in an empty bar,
one more beer won’t hurt.
He has nothing to get up in the morning for anyway.
Later, he will stagger home,
alone again, he’ll polish off whatever alcohol he’s got there.
One more shot won’t hurt,
he has no one to care if he can’t walk anyway.
But, for every drunk in a bar,
left behind somewhere, is a mother, a sister, a daughter, a family.
A life forgotten in a cocktail,
memories in an empty shot glass,
no one ever ruins only themselves.
Melissa Foy

No comments:

Post a Comment